Friday, July 8, 2011

Host a Student from Another Country


The photo above shows "Emma" from Honduras with her American host family

Have you ever wished that you could really experience what it would be like to live in another country?  By hosting a student through the American Field Service, you get to know what his or her culture is like, their food, their holidays, their recreation.  It is a learning (and loving) experience for your whole family.

This was me coming home from Turkey in 1961

I was fortunate enough to be on both sides.  In 1961,  I went to Turkey as an exchange student and lived with a Turkish family.  I have kept in touch ever since and made two more trip there.  My Turkish "sister" has come many times to America.  Then when my daughters were teenagers, we had a student from France come live with us.  It was a great experience for the whole family.

If you'd like to read more about it, go to 
http://www.afsusa.org/host-family/get-started/

No comments: